Friday, February 5, 2010

More Stuff

7 Days to go

Another day in paradise.  While it didn't reach 13 again today, it did hit 10 degrees.  We are still in the midst of the warmest winter on record.  Great for tourists not so hot for the skiers planning to compete at Cypress.  If the games were last year, with all the snow we had, they could have done the luge straight down Georgia street with the finish line at Pacific Centre.

More road closures.  Both of the viaducts are closed now until March 2nd.  Next week - more closures, including turning Robson street to pedestrian only.  For those of us walkers, I think it will be nice to have both Robson and Granville for pedestrians.

It seems we are to prepare for quite the sight next Friday.  It is not just the fact that the torch will be making its way through town to BC place for the opening ceremonies but that the rent-a-thugs are promising an interesting side event.  According to the news last night, they are shipping in protesting staff from around the globe.  They are advising staff to bring their own goggles and to soak their bandana's in apple cider vinegar to help ward off the tear gas that Canadian Police are well known for using (??? really?? I thought it was tasers we were well known for). 

I made a pit stop on the way home and and I am now the proud owner of my very own pepper spray.  I figure this is my perfect chance to try it out.  Who's going to notice?  It seems the protest is planned right outside my office so it will be handy.  While the police are busy with thier tear gas, who is going to notice a middle aged woman testing pepper spray?  They will be protected by the apple cider vinegar anyway.

I'll let you all know how it works out.  I might have to ask for bail money, but I think the chance is slim.

Today's picture is of the Robson Square skating rink.  As I was waiting for the bus I noticed that there was a skating performance taking place.  This is a break in the action and one of the Mascots took to the ice.  The kids in the crowd went nuts.

Stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment