Sunday, March 31, 2013

Only 18 More Sleeps

Busy busy times.  I am very excited with running around getting ready for my vacation.  I have my 60 level sunscreen, bandages, sandals, passport and my tickets to board the boat on the 18th for my 17 day cruise to the Hawaiian islands.

I went shopping this weekend for a new bathing suit.  I went alone as it is painful enough buying a new suit without having witnesses.  I hopped on the train and headed downtown to The Bay.  I stood in the swimsuit area and looked around with dismay.  I want a suit that is somewhere between an old lady, frill at the bottom with push-up bra and a teeny, tiny bikini made for the tween set. Turns out this is almost impossible.

Suffice to say, I came away from the store with 2 dresses, one cocktail and one work and no bathing suit.  The change in purchase choice came about when the salesgirl brought me a "high-hide" monstrosity of a suit with frills and ruffles that she said was designed for women like myself who have a pear-shaped body.  I tried to hide my dismay when I asked if she had anything for women who are actually shaped more like a gourd rather than a pear.  She looked confused.

I will look ravishing in my new dress when invited to dine at the Captains table - provided of course that he does not catch sight of me  first in the ratty old pink bathing suit, circa 1999, with the skirt before he offers the invitation.

I have a few more things to do before we go.  File my taxes, get some US cash, wax my chin, get a haircut and  purchase an Easy Bake Oven for Lexi.  She will be turning 6 while I am away.  She is not happy that I will miss her party since she asked that I bake her cake.  I will bake her a cake and take her the gift before I leave to try to relieve some of my guilt.

Speaking of cake, Rae had her 7th birthday party last weekend.  I got the call three days before the party.

Rae:  "Nanna, can you please bake me a cake for my party?"
Me:  " of course.  What kind of cake would you like?"
Rae: "Chocolate with a rainbow icing"
Me:  "Will do"
Rae: "oh, and Nanna, can it be less cake and more icing this time?"
Me: "I'll see what I can do"

I have attached a picture of the cake. I used 1 1/2 pounds of butter and a pound of icing sugar.  Rae loved it.  2 kids at the party said it was too much icing.  Sometimes, there is just no pleasing people.  The under 10 crowd are a rough crew.

Stay tuned - much more to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment