Friday, April 6, 2012

It's Spring time

And I have been patiently waiting for spring to be sprung.  I feel like I have been cold since October.  I can hardly wait until I can peel off that extra layer of clothes and scrape off the layer (or 12) of hair that keeps me warm in the winter.  It looks like it might be warming up so I am off to Costco to buy a gross of razors to begin the weed wacking.

I have had lots of wee visitors since we last spoke.  I spent one weekend with just the wee girls where we played at the park, watched movies while eating junk food and had "chish and fips" for dinner.  Put a funny name on fish and the kids will eat it - just don't forget the ketchup.  The girls were very pleased that they were the first to sleep on my new red sofa.  They are at a pretty funny (and fun) age right now.  Little Alexis has developed into quite a philosopher.  During dinner, Lexi explained to me that while she is looking forward to starting school in September, she is concerned for her mother.  Lex is worried that her mom will be lonely and bored without kids around.  When I explained that her mother is ready to go back to work with all the kids in school, she paused, mid-fork to mouth and, looking very serious, stated "Yes, but we won't always be there to help her.  She will be lonely if she has no one to play with."  Her sister then jumped in with "but she will be busy selling lots of houses so we will be rich and buy whatever we want."  "well, that's true, "said her sister.

On the way home to "the parents" (as Rae calls them in the collective), Lexi pointed out that she hadn't seen Uncle Kris all weekend.  He was busy I told her and her response was to look up at me with those liquid brown eyes and ask "but you told him I was coming right?  He knew I was here?"  Confusion filled her face at the thought that Uncle Kris would be anywhere other than waiting anxiously for her to appear.

The following weekend I had all three kids.  Again, we played at the park, went for a walk, had junk food while watching a movie and we decorated quite possibly the very worst cookies ever known to mankind.  I know what you are thinking, but you would be wrong.  I DID NOT bake them.  We bought a kit of cookies for Easter. The youngest proudly presented one of her masterpieces to Uncle Kris.  Bold, brave, U.Kris.  After the kids left he let it be known that he would rather eat my cookies over those disgusting things any time.   Even my black bottom, missing baking soda but with added salt, cookies.  That's how bad they were.  The kids loved them.

After returning the brood to their father on Saturday afternoon, I came home to get ready for a charity event that evening.  I showered, put on copious amounts of make-up and perfume, did my hair and was ready to go.  It was a really nice evening and I met a bunch of new people - including a recently divorced man of the right age and temperment.  I tried my best.  Even going so far as to disappear into the ladies room to communicate with an aunt via messenger on how best to handle the situation.  He might have thought I had a bladder infection with the number of times I did this (as she so kindly pointed out).  I needed help with the flirting in person rather than via the internet or email.  Turns out if you put copious amounts of mascara on, winking at someone is out of the question.  I did manage to have a couple of private conversations with this man and wasn't, at least I don't think so, too bad.  I tossed my hair, balanced on one foot, sipped my drink seductively (ok, perhaps not seductively but I didn't snort it back) and laughed at his witty reparte'.  I was thinking that perhaps I was doing ok and had landed a live one until he mentioned children.  Everyone has children so no problem right?  Turns out this 56 year old man has 3 daughters aged...... wait for it......... 11, 13 and 14.  I felt my knees buckle.  His youngest is only 1 1/2 years older than my grandson.  He hasn't even gone through those dreaded teenage daughter years yet (never happened to me but I hear stories - mine were perfect :) ).  I wasn't exactly sure how I felt about this.  I felt ringing in my ears and for some reason I had to sit down.  I went back to my seat and he to his.  I promptly forgot his name (seriously - cannot even come close to recalling it now).

Perhaps my family is correct.  I am either too picky or too hard on these men (not the alcoholic gun collector, the spy or the druggie) but perhaps what otherwise might be normal, nice men who have little tweeks that I should just overlook or get used to.  After all, I am not exactly a prized catch either.  I understand that I have flaws and things that need to be tweeked as well.  Perhaps I will re-think this and get back to you.

I have added a couple of pics that my friend took.  I was trying to wink in the second one.  You can see the results.

By the way, in case I forgot to email you with my begging request, I have attached my link to my wierd little video for the 24 hour easter seal relay.  

Stay tuned for more.  I am having the kids over for Easter dinner  and a wee egg hunt tomorrow.  I can do baked ham without too much trouble.  Only once, while cooking ham, has my smoke alarm gone off.  I am pretty confident.  I am however, trying one new dish.  I have pie and ice cream on hand just in case that one doesn't work though. 

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment