Thursday, March 15, 2012

Dis-invited by a 6 year old

My ego has taken a pounding of late and I have been busy trying to pick up the pieces of my shattered psyche.

It seems my clumsiness has been picked up by my grandchildren and they are now concerned for my safety.

Rae, my favorite wee 6 year old granddaughter had her birthday on Saturday.  I have not missed a grandchild's birthday since inception.  However, if Rae's plan came to fruition this would have been the first.

Scene - 1 week prior

Rae - "Hi NannaGramma - its me"
NannaGramma - "me who?"
R - "oh nanna, you are so silly.  It's Raejay"
NG - "Well, hello Rayjay.  It's so good to hear from you.  What makes you call me this fine evening?"
R - "Its my birthday soon"
NG - "I know.  What would you like for your birthday?"
R - "stuff.  I need all sorts of things"
NG - "I will keep that in mind.  What are your plans for the big day?"
R - "I am having a gymnastics party.  It's going to be lots of fun."
NG - "That sounds like a good time.  I can hardly wait"
R- " Well, Nanna, I don't think that will be a good idea."
NG - "What do you mean Rae?"
R - "I don't want you to get hurt so I think it is best for you to just bring my present to my house"
NG - "What do you mean Rae?
R - "We will be doing back flips and cartwheels and you might break some bones again when you have to do the back flips.  I think you shouldn't come to the party."

So, the gist of the whole thing was that my grandchild thinks I am too feeble to handle a 6 year old birthday party.  I was devastated - the kids now think I am a complete clumsy gibble goof. I hit the lowest point - I had been disinvited from a 6 year olds birthday party.   From this point forward they will no longer believe I have the ability to change traffic lights with my brain or think it possible that I can communicate with the ducks in the park.   Thankfully, my daughter allowed me to attend but I had to stay off the gym floor.  Probably for the best.  Chances were very good that I would have tripped and fallen into the foam pit, and end up having a piece of foam lodged in between my butt cheeks so far it would have required surgery to remove.

Well, now that I have recovered from the party and another road trip - I am having a wee dinner party AND I am cooking - BY MYSELF.  I have been planning this for a month.  I have two new recipes of things I have never tried but the pictures look good.  The only thing I ask of my guests is that their health insurance is paid up and that they sign a waiver upon entering my home that I am not responsible for possible side-effects.  However, as a guest favour, I will provide a ride to emergency for stomach pumping should it be required.

I will keep you posted - the dinner party is just 2 sleeps away.

No comments:

Post a Comment